21 August 2009

I May Be In Over My Head On This One

Day 3
I'm still no closer to understanding this album, but I am slowly realizing that I love it. I keep turning to the internets in hopes of finding a concrete explanation of why it causes these feelings among listeners, but alas nothing so far. One of the things that I keeps popping up today is how important the track sequence is. Yesterday, I may or may not have said that the album was like a piece of Burroughs writing but when I said that I wasn't talking about the tracks, per se. That had more to do with the lyrics, but that part of the analysis will come later on in the weekend.
Apparently, this album is sheer chaos if the songs are heard in any other order then the way they are arranged on the original record. On one hand, I find this to be surprising because it seems like there are so many abrupt changes that the album rarely hits a consistent groove. On the other hand, I totally agree that the way the songs are arranged are the only way that they could possibly be arranged. 
I've been listening to this album for three days straight now, and I haven't gotten tired of it yet so it definitely has staying power. I'm hesitant to admit this, but every night when I go to bed I put on the Velvet Underground's self-titled album and I lay awake until I have listened to the whole thing. I love that album, and now I'm starting to get to a point to where I feel like I could listen to Bee Thousand every day in a similar fashion. 
I've read that the GBV recording process involved heavy beer consumption so I thought that might help me in my attempt at analysis tonight. It helps in the sense that I am thoroughly enjoying the record, but at the same time the alcohol makes it harder to think so I find myself at a loss for words so you'll just have to believe me that tomorrow will bring with it a more comprehensive analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment