18 February 2010

On my Mind

There's this rapper that I really dig named Freddie Gibbs, and he's got this one song called "Murda on my Mind" which deals with waking up in the morning knowing that a murder may occur. This post doesn't have anything to do with that subject, but all of my recent thoughts have been consumed by one singular thing. In case this hasn't been stated before, I watch a lot of television. A lot. A lot, a lot.
A few weeks back, I started watching this British show called Skins. It's about these teenagers in England who do mountains of drugs and have lots of sex. That's a pretty base description, but it's quality viewing. There are like eight characters, and each episode focuses on one of them specifically. There's a lot going on, but it's really easy to get caught up in all of it. I love listening to British people talking to one another. Something about the way it sounds. The slang is a lot better, too. The music that was played in the episodes was pretty rad for the most part. There was one episode that had Grizzly Bear songs in it, and the Crystal Castles appeared in another episode which consequently led to me getting really into that shit.
Anyway, I read on the internets that MTV is making an American version and it is going to be set in Baltimore. I'm pretty certain that this new version will be terrible, but the decision for it all to go down in Baltimore puzzles me. They probably won't be able to do half the shit that the British version did in the first place since it's going to be on regular television, but what will they be doing? Hanging out at the Ottobar? Chilling at Lexington Market?
I take that back. There's part of me that understands the logic. Set the show in the swanky part of Baltimore, like Fells Point or Fed Hill, and go with it from there. I get it, but that doesn't mean that I like it. And since it's MTV, you know that they're going to try and make everything look very hip and trendy which won't work but they'll still try anyway. Could this perhaps mean that one of the characters will attend MICA, and will then have connections to all the underground DIY art and music parties? Will Wham City get a shout out? An appearance by Animal Collective? There's part of me that sees the first two things maybe happening, but at the same time I don't think any of it will.
This show is probably going to be bad. Actually, I know it will be. Just look at the newest show on MTV, My Life as Liz. That show fucking sucks. Really awful. It's supposed to be real like a reality show, but it's painfully obvious that it's scripted. Even worse, it's like Juno minus all the pregnancy business. This girl, Liz, is the main character and she's MTV's definition of 'alt'. She listens to Chromeo on her way to school in the morning. She buys her clothes at the Goodwill. She wears Chuck Taylors. Et cetra, etc. The popular girls don't like her, but they're supposed to be stupid anyway. It's mindless dribble. The way it's set it up it basically allows Liz to get on some pedestal and bash everyone for not being as smart and edgy as she is. It's quite possibly the biggest steaming pile of shit ever.
Anyway, MTV airs that show and now they're trying to remake Skins, and it's going to be horrendous. With that out of my system, it will be back to real business tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I love Skins :)

    Spanokel

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, it's pretty great. i only saw the first two seasons, but i found the whole thing quite captivating.

    ReplyDelete