10 April 2011

Black Lips, Vivian Girls, Moon Women @ the Trocadero, Philadelphia, 4/9/11

There was drinking involved, and if it had been possible chain-smoking. There was also shouting, and that thing I do where I sashay my torso from side to side while nodding my head vigorously. I also remember hugging several people. The Black Lips came to town and awoke something inside of me that had long been dormant, and today they're going to the Mutter Museum.
Moon Women opened, and after about thirty seconds it occurred to me that this was the same band I saw open for Tyvek back in January. The singer wears sunglasses indoors, and I never forget that for some reason. He also had one of the best lines of the night when he said, "This is a new song, not like any of you would no anyway." At this point, they have a cassette and a 7" to their name and after seeing them twice now I feel comfortable in saying that a long player would be rad. The other thing they got going on is that they're loud. The vocals echoed through the walls of guitar ruckus, and yet it still seemed like a very lean set. It's three guys, but the force is strong within.
The Vivian Girls said very little, but there were no moments of silence or quiet. There was guitar, and a new drummer who may or may not be seeing the guy who runs the merch table. A rough approximation of the text messages sent to myself indicate that the set consisted of about sixty percent cuts from the new record and forty percent old joints. It was dug, and the cup was never empty.
From the first time I heard Valientes Del Mundo Neuva it was apparent that this was a band that had to be seen live. It had been attempted before, but misfortune always seemed to strike. Whether it was a scheduling conflict, a location issue, or my deeply held belief that I would be unable to see this band and then drive home. After last night, I was right about that last part but that's why I moved. More shows, and no driving. I can reduce my carbon footprint, and get dirty in the process.
As far as the show itself, I stayed in the drinking stable for obvious reasons. Citizens were throwing themselves upwards, and doing other things that can only be described as going god damn berserk. It was the scene, but every time the notion came to move forward the rationalization came through that I could accomplish the same thing while keeping a drink in my hand. It's hard to say whether the move paid off, but I faintly recall being kissed on the forehead by a being larger than myself. The most iron clad memory is when they played "Bad Kids". If one didn't know any better, and just walked in they would have thought they were this time's 'Like A Rolling Stone'. It was wild, and there was a sense of community that I couldn't shake. It may have been manufactured entirely in my mind I realize. The sound translates, and in a room full of like minded individuals it becomes something. A real actual rock and roll band playing live music.
(Writer's Note: They played "Dirty Hands", and I liked it a lot.)

No comments:

Post a Comment